Tuesday 23 August 2016

The Leper



I wonder how many of us are “comfortable in our own skin”? Are we content with our bodies – the shape and size of our physical attributes? According to Robert Crampton in the Times recently - the number of men undergoing plastic surgery has almost doubled in the past decade. Crampton wrote “I’ve never worried about my eyelids until now…" We may change the way we look, what is more difficult is to change how we feel about how we look….

Mark 1:40-41         
A leper came to him begging him, and kneeling he said to him, “If you choose, you can make me clean.” Moved with pity, Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, “I do choose. Be made clean!”

 

The Leper     

He touched me

Aware only of my own hideousness
Features taut, tucked and twisted
Distorted
Smooth knobbles
That once were hands
Once were feet

And worse…
Aware only of my own filthiness
Barely dressed in rags
Offensive
Encrusted in dirt
And lice
And fleas

I had no beauty to attract him to me
Nothing in my appearance
That he should desire me
of no value
to others
or myself
Despised and rejected
by others
and myself

On my knees I met him
and
When no one else would
He touched me

Though my limbs are numb
He touched me

Where it hurt the most
He touched me
…and I am clean

“You are mine, my beloved
With you I am well pleased”


Ronald Rohlheiser 2005

“Ancient philosophers and mystics used to say that before being born each soul is kissed by God and then goes through life always, in some dark way remembering that kiss… inside each of us, there is a dark memory of having once been touched and caressed by hands far gentler than our own…  that caress… so tender and good that its memory becomes a prism through which we see everything else.”

No comments:

Post a Comment